Monday, August 10, 2009

Warden Training


So, I am traveling on a bus back to Korca, winding over the mountain road between Tirana and Elbasan, pitching side to side as we pass dump trucks, and motorcycles, hay carts, old ladies walking their cows, herds of sheep and goats and even a couple of Germans on a bicycle tour. Clarinet music is playing to a syncopated Balkan beat over the bus speakers. I am gazing out the window at the deep valley far below the cliff edge of the pavement which has a 104 degree haze lying over it. The little boy in front of me pukes his breakfast over his mother. She puts her head down, as does the old lady in her traditional black dress and white scarf across the aisle. When the young girl who is sitting on her mother’s lap in the seat next to me starts to look a bit green, I pull a plastic bag from my pocket and hand it to her mother. She accepts this gratefully and passes it to her daughter. The bus conductor (most every bus in Albania has a conductor to take fares and help with baggage) opens a roof vent which helps a lot. What strikes me then, is that none of this seems particularly remarkable to me. I am suddenly made aware of how much I have accepted as normal things that would have amazed in their strangeness a few months ago. Humans, even old ones, adapt quickly. I go back to looking out the window, dozing off occasionally on the long trip.

I was in Tirana again for two days of Warden Training. I am a warden for the Korca region. This involves responsibility for safety and security and an intermediate role in the Emergency Action Plan for Peace Corps Albania. This is not a abstract exercise. The Peace Corps had to evacuate from Albania in 1997 during civil unrest that followed the collapse of Ponzi schemes that evaporated most of the assets people had from distributions following the collapse of communism a few years earlier. There were riots, fires, shootings, road closures, etc. (I wonder how Americans would have reacted had the malfeasance of Madoff and Stanford had as broad an effect on our economy). Eight of our current volunteers were evacuated from Georgia after the Russians invaded last year. They could hear artillery from where they were staying. If you are evacuated from an assignment before completing enough of your term of service, you are offered placement in another country, based on their need and ability to absorb additional volunteers. A few went directly from Georgia to Albania and began service following abbreviated pre service training in Albanian language and culture. Three in my group went home for awhile before returning this year to start again. Albania is also an active earthquake area and, during a drought a couple of years ago, large forest fires raged nearby in Greece.

I am supposed to keep track of the 8 volunteers in my region and be ready to assemble them and keep them at my apartment for awhile, and evacuate them safely through Tirana, if communication is maintained and that this advised or, on my own initiative, to either Macedonia or Greece, if communication is lost, the situation meets established criteria and I decide it is a good idea. At training we reviewed policy and procedures and did some exercises with various scenarios. I am glad there are only 8 volunteers in my region and I would guess that some would proceed on their own across the border, since Pogradec, where there is one volunteer, is only a few miles from Macedonia and Bilisht, where there are two, is walking distance to Greece. Other regions have a lot more volunteers and, if the one airport or ports were closed, might have a long and difficult trek to the border.

The election in June was very close. It took weeks to get the result. The current, right of center government had to make a deal with a leftist splinter group to continue in power. The left of center opposition has not been happy with this, but it seems the election was generally fair and the results have been accepted. International monitors were positive in their assessment. All this seems hopeful to me. It is hard for me to imagine bands of heavily armed factions fighting it out in the streets of Korca, burning public buildings, blocking roads, and pulling people from their cars, as happened in 1997. Perhaps the worst consequence of that was the large migration of educated professionals from Albania as engineers, doctors, nurses, and teachers left en masse; a severe setback for a poor country trying to emerge from more than a generation of communist dictatorship.

A few of the people at the NGO’s where I do some of my work were here through that period. They acknowledged being uncertain and scared at times, but say they kept their heads down and got through it. Korcans I have talked to about it say they stayed inside and away from windows, lay on the floor if they heard gunfire and had problems keeping kids occupied when schools were closed for months and they couldn’t play outside. Food and other supplies were difficult at times, but friends and family helped each other. That was a time when steel doors and bars on windows were put on apartments and concrete block walls with steel gates were built around homes. Some people are able to adapt to a lot more than wild bus rides.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hello
love your blog and got many tip's to plan my next trip to Albania in 22-sep-2009.
thanks
jacob